Municipality of General Emilio Aguinaldo

Income Classification: 5th Class
Congressional District: 8th District
No. of Barangays: 14
Land Area: 51,03 sq. km.
Population (NSO, 2010 Census): 17,507
Registered Voters (COMELEC, December 2015): 13,579
Mayor: Danilo M. Bencito
Vice-Mayor: Louel G. Golfo
Councilors:
Dennis M. Glean
Antonio Angat
Allan Q. Glean
Ricardo Mendoza
Librado Angat
Ricardo Binauhan
Anselmo Calingasan
Roel Gonzales
LNB President: Andres I. Oliver
Address: Municipal Hall, Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo, Cavite
Click here to locate the General Emilio Aguinaldo Municipal Hall
Phone: (046) 423-1052
Email Address: genaguinaldo@yahoo.com
About

The Municipality of Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo formerly called Bailen is an upland town about 400 meters above sea level. It is one of the most isolated of Cavite’s 17 municipalities and 6 cities.

Historical Background

The Municipality of General Emilio Aguinaldo used to be a separate Catholic parish in the town of adjacent Maragondon. It was founded by virtue of a decree issued on August 28, 1857 by Archbishop Fray Aranguren, OSA, of the Archdiocese of Manila. The decree separated the barrios of Batas and Guyong-guyong from the town of Maragondon, naming the new parish Bailen. It is recounted that a group of citizens from Barrio Batas petitioned Spanish Governor-General Fernando Norzagaray to convert their barrio into a municipality because of its distance from the town proper. Giving due course to the petition, the Spanish Governor approved the request on August 2, 1858.

Bailen, the town’s original name, was coined from the Spanish word “bailar”, meaning “to dance”. Another claims that it was named after a Spanish town of the same name. The American civil government, from 1899–1901, reduced the number of towns to facilitate the military policy of concentrating the civilian population of the poblaciones. The Philippine Commission approved Act No. 947 on October 15, 1903, annexing the municipalities of Bailen and Mendez to Alfonso, thus becoming barrios of Alfonso. The Philippine Commission, for the second time in 1904, reorganized the entire province of Cavite reducing its 22 municipalities to 9 groups of towns. Bailen was annexed to Mendez. Bailen was reconverted into an independent municipality in 1915, with the complete restoration of peace and order in Cavite.

On June 19, 1965 with the signing of Republic Act no. 4346, the town’s name, Bailen, was changed to General Emilio Aguinaldo, in honor of the first Philippine president who died the year before.

On September 3, 2012, the town’s name was reverted to Bailen. The Sangguniang Panglalawigan (Provincial Board) has unanimously approved Committee Report 118-2012 renaming General Emilio Aguinaldo, a municipality in the 7th District of the province, to its original, “Bailen” during the 95th Regular Session. It is however, yet to be ratified. (Wikipedia)

Geographic Location

The Municipality of Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo is bounded on the south and southeast of Alfonso; on the west by municipality of Magallanes; and on the north and northeast by the town of Maragondon. It lies 86 km southwest of Manila and accessible to and from towns of province, as well as from Manila through Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo- Alfonso- Tagaytay road and the Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo –Alfonso- Indang road.

Major Income Sources
Tourist Destinations

  • Malibik-libik Falls
  • St. Joseph Parish
  • Bitin River
  • Tala River
  • Talong Mababa
  • Mag-asawang Bato River
Special Events / Festivals

  • Town Fiesta

Data Source: DILG CaLaBaRZon LGUs