Municipality of Kawit
Congressional District: 1st District
No. of Barangays: 23
Land Area: 1,738.24 has.
Population (NSO, May 1, 2010): 78,209
Registered Voters (COMELEC, October 2013): 47,488
Municipality of Kawit
The Municipality of Kawit, Cavite is a 1st Class Municipality. It is the cradle of the Philippine Independence. It’s cultural heritage and unprecedented historical role in the Philippine History is a unique treasure for Kawit. The Aguinaldo Shrine where the Philippine Independence was proclaimed by Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo, still remained as the most hallowed historical site in the country. Kawit is composed of 23 Barangays. It is both an inland and coastal municipality. Per Year 2010 Census, the Municipality of Kawit has a total population of 78,209 which account for 2.53% participation rate of Kawit to the Province of Cavite. The population has been decreasing from 1990 indicating that other areas in Cavite have been urbanizing more than Kawit.
Long before the coming of the Spaniards, Kawit was already a thriving settlement, and when the colonizers came, they called the settlement “CAVITE EL VIEJO”. It is the oldest of the three parishes established during the administration of Manila Archbishop Garcia Serrano (1618-1629).
The town was the first anchorage established by the Spaniards in Cavite province. It was where the Jesuits built a parish church in honour of Saint Mary Magdalene. The colonizers soon found a better place, also a part of Kawit, and developed it as site of its navy yard. This former town of Kawit is now known as Cavite City.
The town got its name maybe based on the hook-shaped shoreline from Manila to Sangley Point, Cavite City. The Filipino term for the word “Hook” is Kawit.
A short distance from Cavite navy yard was a placed called “TIERRA ALTA”, because of its higher elevation, fine stream, cool climate, and rich vegetation, became a favorite vacation resort and hunting ground for Spanish ‘conquistadores”. This territory is now the Municipality of Noveleta, which seceded from Kawit in 1908.
In the early days of the Spanish rule, Cavite City, Noveleta and the City of Imus were part of Kawit, but in October 1795, the people of Imus, through a Recollect Father, petitioned the Spanish government that they be permitted to secede from Kawit and to establish a separate parish. Thus, from the old Cavite El Viejo sprang Cavite City, Municipality of Noveleta and Imus City.
The mayors who assumed office after World War II were the following honorable men: Bernardo Hebron, Eulalio Reyes and Cesar Casal and Felino L. Maquinay. In 1959, the district of San Gabriel and San Jose of Barangay Kabilang Baybay was purchased by the National Government for the relocation of squatters from Metro Manila. On March 14, 1981, the relocation site, which teemed with people from almost every part of the country and was more popularly known as the resettlement area, became an independent municipality called General Mariano Alvarez.
Kawit is within the Province of Cavite, Region IV-A (CALABARZON), west of the island of Luzon. It is particularly situated in the northern part of the province and is bounded by Cavite City and Bacoor Bay in the north, City of Bacoor in the east, City of Imus in the southeast, Municipality of Gen. Trias in the south and Municipality of Noveleta in the west. It has a distinctive hook-shaped coastline and famous for its Aguinaldo Shrine.
It is about twenty five (25) kilometers away southwest of Manila by land and about four (4) kilometers south of Cavite City across Bacoor Bay. With the opening of the new road named Cavite Expressway or CAVITEX, travel time from Manila to Kawit is now been reduced to only twenty (20) minutes from the previous one and a half travel time. The CAVITEX has also helped decongest Aguinaldo and Tirona Highways.
Data Source: DILG CaLaBaRZon LGUs
Cavite was also hailed as one of the Regional Gawad Pamana ng Lahi 2011 Awardee – Provincial Category. Exemplary performance information is drawn from the database of the on-line LGPMS, Seal of Good Housekeeping, International Organization or National Government Agency-bestowed awards and acknowledged innovations.
The First AJA ISO 9001:2015 Certified Provincial Government in the Philippines. ISO 9001:2015 is a set of standards and requirements for the development of a quality management system commonly applied by private corporations and organizations to help ensure that the needs and expectations of customers are adequately and consistently met. These standards also enable organizations to develop mechanisms for continual improvement of products and services.
The good housekeeping seal is given to LGUs that excelled in the areas of planning, budgeting, revenue, mobilization, financial management, budget execution, procurement and resource mobilization. It also recognizes local governments that accord primacy to the principles of transparency and accountability. Recipients of the award also received one million pesos each from the DILG’s Performance Challenge Fund (PCF).